National Sun Yat-sen University Department of Marine Biotechnology and Resources Emergency Relief Measures
Passed at departmental meeting of Nov. 2, 2020
- Out of concern for students experiencing family difficulties, in order to encourage the spirit of hard work, cultivate self-confidence, and help them successfully complete their studies, the Department has drafted an emergency aid implementation outline based on the “National Sun Yat-Sen University Student Emergency Relief Measures.”
- Emergency Relief: Any student of the Department facing any of the below situations can apply for emergency relief:
- Requiring assistance due to family crisis resulting in the loss of livelihood
- Facing serious illness or injury
- Family facing economic hardship with both parents unemployed
- Other emergency situations that require relief assistance.
Families (father, mother, and applicant) whose total annual income exceeds $1,000,000 or whose total property exceeds $10,000,000 may not apply (If applicants meet the requirements of Ministry of Education Emergency Relief Measures paragraph 3, subparagraphs 2 and 4, they do not need to attach income and property lists. Applicants may apply according to the contents of each subparagraph of paragraph 3, once per person per year, with a maximum of one approval. A family is considered a single unit for the same event, with a maximum of one application. If both parents of the applicant encounter any of the items in paragraph 3, subparagraph 3, the payment issued will be cumulative).
- How to Apply: In the spirit of providing emergency relief, according to the needs of students, applications are accepted at any time, but should be submitted no later than three months from the occurrence of the emergency. Applicants who are unable to apply in time due to extenuating circumstances may be excepted at the discretion of the department chair. Applicants should fill out an application, acquire a department advisor’s seal, and submit it to the department office along with any supporting documentation.
- Review Process: After review and approval of the payment amount by the department chair and the student’s advisor, funds will be allocated according to procedure, then submitted to the departmental meeting for ratification. Emergency relief subsidy amounts will be determined according to the table of subsidy standards. Amounts may be increased for applicants with special circumstances after review and approval by the department chair and the student’s advisor.
- The emergency relief subsidy is funded by grants to the Department of Marine Biotechnology and Resources. In the event of insufficient funds, the subsidy will be temporarily suspended.
- These measures have been passed at a departmental meeting. They will be implemented starting from the first semester of the 2020 academic year, regardless of any revision.